Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A little setback

So Sunday evening, tucker started vomiting suddenly. He only did once and seemed ok after. We gave him a bath and put him to bed. He was restless and woke up running a fever, so we gave him some zofran and Tylenol and put him back down. When he woke up Monday morning he was totally fine and in a playful mood. Last night tucker threw up again and started running fever again. I gave him Tylenol and decided I was going to take him to the doctor this morning.

We went to the doctor first thing and everything looked fine. He decided to do a blood test to check his counts. Well the white blood cell count was extremely high. So our doctor gave him doses of antibiotics to help and told me to wait while he interpreted the results a bit more. Come to find out, he found that he had some really immature white blood cells. He wasn't expecting to find some that were that immature. So he decided to call the hematologist at Texas children's hospital to let him look over the test and interpret it. He also said he was going to call the hospital to let the different teams of doctors know what was going on in case they wanted to do something else. So of course, my heart sinks and I immediately begin to think the worst again. Our awesome doctor could see the concern on my face so he assured me that he didn't think it was anything, just that he wanted to go through the appropriate channels to be sure and that "tucker has been known to throw us a few curve balls". We went home after that and they told us they would call with results. About 30 minutes later my doctor called me and told me he talked to the hematologist and that he didn't think the results showed any consistency with leukemia (huge sigh of relief) and that he thinks this is just tuck's body's way of dealing with fever. However he told our doctor what other blood tests to order. so tomorrow while we are at the hospital for tucks gastric emptying scan, we are supposed to go to the lab for more blood work. After that we come home and go back to our pediatrician to let them check to make sure the white cell count has gone down and determine if any antibiotics need to be given. They also may or may not have the other results back and if not should have them by Thursday.

I am trying to be faithful and know that God is in control, but it is so hard sometimes and I feel like I am on a roller coaster ride. I know I keep saying God never gives you more than you can handle, but woah am I getting close to the edge! My sister sent me an ecard that about sums up how I feel, so here it is with an attempt at humor to lighten up this stressful situation.

Please continue to keep tucker and all of us in your prayers. We love you all!

"This too shall pass"

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Love and blessings,

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's a yes!

It's a yes!
how it all began...